Arizona Attorney General Releases List of Top Consumer Fraud Complaints of 2019
Home Warranties and Telemarketing Scams make AG's annual list
Posted by Craig Randall
March 5, 2020
On March 3, Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich announced his list of Top 10 Consumer Fraud Complaints for 2019. Home Warranties, a target of the AG's investigations made the list at number 5.
According to the AG's website, the top 10 consumer fraud complaints in 2019 are:
1. Telemarketing and Phone Scams
2. Motor Vehicle Sales, Repairs, and Rentals
3. Mortgage and Real Estate
4. Telecommunications (i.e. Internet Service Providers, Cell Phones, Pay TV, Bundling)
5. Insurance Service Contract/Warranty (i.e. Home Warranties)
6. Computers (Computer Internet Scams)
7. Construction (Home Improvements/Home Repairs)
8. Time Shares
9. Collection Services
10. Banking (General services)
For the second straight year, Telemarketing and Phone Scams have led the rankings as the top consumer complaint filed with the AGO. In 2019, the AGO received nearly 2,000 consumer complaints related to telemarketing and phone scams.
In 2019, the AGO processed more than 14,000 written consumer complaints and fielded nearly 40,000 phone calls from consumers. Also in 2019, the AGO secured over $38 million in restitution for consumers. Since AG Brnovich took office in January 2015, the AGO has obtained a record amount of consumer restitution, recovering more than $94 million directly for consumers.
Read more at Arizona Attorney General